This week hosted National Granola Bar Day, who knew?! Any excuse for us to get some more granola into our bellies.
So, in tribute (and to beat those January blues) we thought we’d create a recipe for our very own Spoon Granola bars.
We love the combination of sweet bananas with savoury peanut butter and added some almonds for crunch and dark chocolate because, well… why not!?
These bars are great for breakfast, snacking and even dessert. Try warming them up and serving with ice cream or yoghurt for a delicious pud, you won’t be disappointed.
- 2 very ripe bananas
- 4 tablespoons smooth peanut butter
- 90ml maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil (melted)
- 175g oats (I used jumbo wholegrain, but any will do)
- 75g Spoon cinnamon and pecan granola
- 70g dark choc (roughly chopped)
- Large handful cacao nibs
- 70g almonds (roughly chopped)
- Preheat the oven to 180 C / Fan 160c and grease and line a baking tray with baking paper and coconut oil.
- In a food processor, combine bananas, peanut butter, coconut oil, maple syrup. Mix until completely combined and you have a thick paste mixture.
- In a large bowl, mix the oats, granola, cacao nibs, almonds and dark chocolate.
- Pour the banana paste into the oat mix and stir well until fully combined.
- Pour the mix into your lined tray. Push down the mix with a spatula or metal spoon to ensure mixture is evenly distributed and packed tightly (this is very important!).
- Bake for 30-40 mins, until lightly golden. Make sure to keep an eye on them and turn them at the halfway point to ensure that they don’t burn!
- Leave to cool in the tin for 10 mins, then tip them onto a wire rack to let them cool completely.
- Once cool, cut into 12 bars and enjoy!