This recipe comes from Mira Manek author of the incredible healthy Indian cookery book Saffron Soul. She kindly let us share her amazing warming turmeric porridge recipe with you all, here's what she had to say...
I’ve just returned from a short trip to Ibiza for my brother’s wedding, which was insanely fun, I had the most delicious Indian food, the settings, backdrops and flower displays were simply stunning and I am now recovering… Having the flu now means that I hopefully won’t get it later on in the thick of Winter, and London is still rather pleasant and sunny, so I’m grateful. But it’s only when I’m ill that I realise how little I feel like eating, all I’m craving is orange juice and hot water with lemon and honey, and waking up this morning, I wanted something hearty yet light yet packed with goodness. So here it is – a light and fluffy porridge, not too heavy on the oats, more liquidy, with the large spoon of filling flax seeds, infused with turmeric, ginger and honey! Fuel for the body during winter, perfect for prevention and cure.
- 3 tbsp oats
- 1tbsp ground flaxseed
- 200ml water (3/4 cup)
- 200ml almond milk (3/4 cup)
- 1/4 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- Ginger, grated (1 inch piece)
- 1tbsp honey
- Pinch of black pepper
- Place the oats, ground flaxseeds, water and almond milk in a small pan and stir on a low heat.
- Leave this to cook while you mix together the ginger, turmeric, cinnamon, black pepper and honey in a small bowl. Pour this mixture into the hot porridge and keep stirring until the porridge starts to thicken (it should still be quite runny but if you like it thicker, you can add more oats).
- Taste for sweetness and add more honey and cinnamon if you prefer.
- Pour into your chosen bowl and top with any toppings you like, suggestions below, enjoy!
- Flaked almonds
- Peanut butter
- Goji berries
- Cinnamon and Pecan granola
- Coconut chips
- Extra cinnamon