Porridge in the summer months. A contentious subject, but something we'd like to get you excited about when going to bed. This recipe takes porridge to a whole new level. It feels like you’re eating dessert for breakfast. Not complaining about this.
The brûlée topping is sweet and nutty and when you break through, you reach a creamy tahini porridge that’s full of goodness and guaranteed to keep that mid-morning hollow stomach feeling at bay.
It works great as a sharing breakfast. Try doubling up the ingredients and serving with some Greek yoghurt, pistachios and fresh fruit, if that floats your boat.
You will need a small oven proof dish/bowl
- 50g oats
- 350ml milk of your choice
- 1tsp tahini
- 1-2 tsp honey
- Handful of sesame seeds
Top tip: Soak your oats in the milk for at least 20 minutes, preferably overnight. This gives the porridge a much better texture and makes the oats easier to digest.
- Preheat your grill onto a medium setting.
- Gently warm the soaked oats and tahini in a saucepan stirring over a medium heat until they are just warmed (not piping hot). Add a dash of milk if the mixture looks a bit thick, you want this to be a little runny before you put it under the grill.
- Tip the oat mixture into your oven proof dish, squeeze over the honey, sprinkle over the sesame seeds until the oats are fully covered.
- Place the dish under the grill until the topping is golden brown, make sure to keep an eye on it.
- Remove, let is stand for a minute or 2 and enjoy!